Thursday, November 12, 2009

I want to root a clipping of my mom's camelia?

Does anyone know how to do this? What type of clipping do I use (hardwood or softwood)? What's the best time of year to do it? How long does it take? What mixture should I use (%sand, % peat moss...etc)? Please be specific. My mother is 72 and I don't expect her to live alot longer. Her camelia in her front yard is her favorite tree. She's had it forever and I would never dig it up and move it, but I would like to have an offspring of it to grow old w/ me and be a token of my memories w/ my mom. Any advice will help! Thanks in advance!!

I want to root a clipping of my mom's camelia?
Cuttings are best collected from May to September and in the fall, about November; cuttings should be taken from the current season's growth just below the fifth node; 3000 to 8000 ppm IBA(rooting hormone) is effective; sand and peat or peat and perlite, mist or poly-tent are the other important ingredients.
Reply:The best advise I can give you is to contact a local nursery or landscaping place by where you live. They should be able to tell you exactly how to transplant it and care for it. Usually they are more than happy to help you, especially if you explain why you are trying to do this.


No comments:

Post a Comment